Friday, April 11, 2008

Thursdays = Joyus

Every Thursday at 4:30, the exchange students plus Haruka and Emika will go to Miyagi University and chill there with Miyagi students and teachers, Japanese and foreign. First, we`ll watch Japanese TV shows and/or movies (the ones we saw yesterday included a TV show about an American in Japan asking random people on the street to tell their "trouble" or "I`m beaten" stories in Japanese and English. There are definitely some hilarious responses from gaijin and nihonjin. XD
I think my favorite was when a Japanese girl was talking about her teeth in nihongo, and when asked to talk about it in English, said "No parents in my mouth."!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST. QUOTE. EVER. I love it SO much!!!
After we watched the randomness, we went into this reception type room where we had cookies, tea, crackers, and orange qoo and talked. I spoke with this amazing woman from Atlanta, Georgia who is teaching English at Miyagi. She is pretty much amazing, she speaks English and Spanish fluently, knows enough nihongo to get by, and a little bit of Swahili. I also talked with a Japanese girl who studied at a school in Newfoundland to learn English. We talked about Fruits Basket (YAY FURUBA!!!), as we are both big fans. But because she`s Japanese, she`s FINISHED with the series!!! I told her not to give anything away as I`m planning to read it in Japanese when I become fluent enough!!! For those Furuba fans in America, the next volume comes out in July!!!! Be happy!!!!
btw, I named my stuffed dog Shigure. *smiles*
After the trip to Miyagi, I come home in time for my new favorite Japanese show. It plays from 8 until about 8:40-8:45 without commercials. It`s a drama about this baseball player who recently moved from the city with his family to Hokkaido, and it`s wonderful. You can already tell that he`s going to fall in love with the shy quiet girl who plays clarinet. His best friend is hilarious, and I love his dog. XD
AND THE THEME SONG IS BY MR. CHILDREN!!!!!! Not that I love Japanese music or anything.....
So while I can`t understand what`s going on at any given point, I get the gist of the story and will be able to use it to evaluate my progress in Japanese (I hope). Unfortunately, the other show that I like, about a girl who wants to be a dancer, plays on Friday mornings while I`m on my way to school, so I can`t watch it. *insert sad face here* But whatevs. I`ve still got my baseball drama. *laughs*
Also, Rina from my homeroom wants to show me her sketchbook on Monday!!! *does happy dance* She likes the 3 pictures I`ve drawn in my sketchbook so far. And the watercolor colored pencils are amazing. You were right, Panda, they do blend a lot better than regular colored pencils!!!
The girls at school think that my small face and I are adorable. XD
We haven`t really started classes yet, but will on Monday. I had 2 study sessions with Jason sensei today and have homework to get started on for Monday.

KARAOKE TOMORROW!!!! XD
Have a great day, ya`ll!!

No comments: